Water Damage in Denver: How to Protect Your Home
Water damage can ruin your home and even pose some health risks for you and your family. Keep reading to learn how to prevent water damage Denver.
Your home is supposed to be your safe-haven.
And when it comes to protecting your home, you must take preventative measures to ensure your home doesn’t become the target of something disastrous, like water damage.
Water damage can be one of the most devastating events that can take place in your life.
In fact, it’s the second most common insurance claim homeowners have. It can ruin your home, your possessions, and even pose health risks for you and your family.
There are numerous factors that can result in serious water damage in Denver homes, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be prepared and decrease the likelihood of your home being the next victim of water damage.
Keep reading for ways to protect your home from water damage.
1. Start By Protecting the Outside of Your Denver Home
You should begin by guarding your home from the outside, first.
- Make sure your gutters are spotless and your downspouts are clean. You’ll want to point the downspouts as far from your home as possible – 10-15-feet should do it.
- Keep trees, branches, and vegetation trimmed and away from your home. Tree branches and shrubs can cause havoc when they’re in close proximity to pipes.
- Inspect your roof. Check for missing or damaged shingles.
- Seal windows, and cracks in foundation or basement promptly.
- Ensure that the ground slopes the right way. If the ground is sloping towards your foundation, you’ll need to repair that right away so water doesn’t start pooling near your basement windows, or anywhere else that can get inside your home.
- Invest in a sump pump. A sump pump is always beneficial in preventing water damage in Denver homes.
2. Protect the Inside of Your Home
Many things can cause water damage inside your home, and it’s vital to do what you can to prevent this from occurring.
- Check appliances frequently. Check any appliance that produces or uses water throughout your home for leaks.
- Turn off your water supply when you’re going away. If you’re heading out on vacation for a few weeks, shut off your water supply, especially if it’s winter time. Water damage in the winter can result in frozen pipes and other complications.
- Check for leaks on a regular basis. This includes checking in your basement, under sinks, in cupboards and other areas you may not think of.
- Investigate bathrooms carefully. Look at your showers and tubs for caulking that’s not sealed properly. Also, be sure to inspect your toilet for leaks and check that it’s also sealed where it should be.
- Pay attention to your water bill. You’ll want to pay attention to any increases in your water bill. This can indicate a leak somewhere in your home.
- Know where your main water valve is. This is important in case there ever is a leak – you’ll know how to shut off the water while you wait for the professionals. Make sure your water valve is in working order, too.
The Final Word on How to Protect Your Home from Water Damage in Denver
Water damage in Denver homes is a common problem
It can occur inside the home when pipes burst, or it can happen because of factors beyond your control, like floods.
The best way to protect your property from damage is to ensure your home is not susceptible to any kind of water damage.
However, regardless of our efforts, sometimes water damage happens anyway. If your Denver home is flooded or water-damaged, you need experienced restoration experts to help bring it to its original state. We’re only a call or email away!
Call 24/7 Flood Response (303) 239-1416
We’re available 24/7/365!
Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to 24/7 Flood Response and a clickable link back to this page.
Tags: black water damage, denver home water damage, denver water damage, emergency flood response, emergency water damage denver, flood damage restoration, gray water damage, home water damage denver, property manager water damage denver, water damage denver, water damage restoration cost, water damage restoration Denver, water removal denver